‘Stacking the odds’ is to create, contribute to, or manipulate a situation in a way that results in an unfair advantage over someone or something else.
A classic example would be how Donald Trump packed the US Supreme Court with right-wingers, which has resulted in Roe v Wade, the legal case setting the federal right to abortion some 49 years ago now being under considerable threat. Put simply, Joe Bidden now finds himself in a very difficult situation unable to surpass the top court in the US on defending women’s right to choose.
The Conservative Government has not been slow to follow this practice in the UK – stacking the Equality and Human Rights Commission Board with their ‘ideal choices’ in their attack against ‘woke’. Only yesterday we saw Vice World News expose EHRC bias, in part using information supplied by Steph’s Place.
Take Akua Reindorf, a ‘human rights’ lawyer;
She was appointed to the EHRC Board in December 2021.
Reindorf accused Stonewall of failing to defend freedom of expression after the University of Essex removed two speakers accused of transphobia. Isn’t that Stonewall’s job, though – to protect LGBT+ rights?
So I went searching the internet for cases where Reindorf spoke out against transphobia. Not an easy task, because there appears not to be any. I entered the phrase “Akua Reindorf transphobia” using Google search and gave up on page nine. It appears Ms Reindorf believes in “free speech” – don’t we all?
But to us trans folk, we put a different interpretation on that sometimes, because “free speech” is often the cloak for “hate speech”.
Another addition to the EHCR board is David Goodhart, the son of a former Tory MP. Appointed in November 2020.
Goodhart is the head of the Demography, Immigration and Integration Unit at the think tank Policy Exchange.
By sheer coincidence, who works at Policy Exchange is one Sophia Falkner – the daughter of Kishwer Falkner – the Chair at EHRC.
Goodhart has had a very successful and varied career and is on the Advisory Council of the Free Speech Union – yep, back to that “free speech” mantra again.
Wikipedia say this about The Free Speech Union.
The Free Speech Union (FSU) is a UK-based organisation which advocates freedom of speech. The group was established on 24 February 2020 by British journalist Toby Young. The organisation views itself as countering cancel culture by opposing hostility on Twitter and the withdrawal of some individuals’ invitations to speak at some university events.
It made an unsuccessful legal challenge against Ofcom’s guidance on avoiding COVID-19 misinformation. The group has been criticised by journalists and former student members who believe it has a right-wing agenda and that its stated aims are misleading.
The FSU has numerous significant links to the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) as the print screen above clearly proves.
Designated in the US by the human rights organisation Southern Poverty Law Centre (SPLC) as a hate group, the ADF has a UK office just yards from Downing Street.
SPLC say this about the ADF:
Founded by some 30 leaders of the Christian Right, the Alliance Defending Freedom is a legal advocacy and training group that has:
(1) Supported the recriminalisation of sexual acts between consenting LGBTQLGBTQ LGBTQIA+ is an inclusive term that includes people of all genders and sexualities, such as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, asexual, pansexual, and allies. While each letter in LGBTQIA+ stands for a specific group of people, the term encompasses the entire spectrum of gender fluidity and sexual identities. https://abbreviations.yourdictionary.com/what-does-lgbtqia-stand-for-full-acronym-explained.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT adults in the U.S. and criminalisation abroad
(2) Defended state-sanctioned sterilisation of trans people abroad
(3) Contended that LGBTQ people are more likely to engage in pedophilia
(4) Claimed that a “homosexual agenda” will destroy Christianity and society
(5) ADF also works to develop “religious liberty” legislation and case law that will allow the denial of goods and services to LGBTQ people on the basis of religion. Despite its regular defamation of LGBTQ people, the group has managed to win special advisory status at the United Nations, in the European Union, and with the Organization of American States. Since the election of President Trump, ADF has become one of the most influential groups informing the administration’s attack on LGBTQ rights.
SPLC also refers to previous statements from the ADF.
The only surprise is the rapidity with which this degradation of our human dignity has occurred. It has occurred, with raging effect, and within twelve months, on the heels of government-mandated recognition of same-sex ‘marriage’ – an oxymoronic institution if ever there was one. And, for its radical adherents, this has led to a deification of deviant sexual practices. It has further resulted in the inevitable and aggressive persecution of devout Christians who refuse to bow to the false god of sexual license.” – ADF-affiliated attorney Charles LiMandri, “The Tyranny of Made-Up Sexual Identities, 2015
“[C]ontrol of the educational system is central to those who want to advance the homosexual agenda. By its very nature, homosexual acts are incapable of bearing fruit – indeed, strictly speaking, they are not sexual, as they are incapable of being generative or procreative. Thus there is the need to desensitise and corrupt young minds, both to undermine resistance to the agenda and for recruitment among those that are at an emotionally vulnerable stage of development.” – Then-senior ADF Legal Counsel (Global) Piero Tozzi, speaking at the World Congress of Families gathering in Madrid, Spain, 2012
This leads to the following questions.
I rest my case.